add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

6600k Overclocking

Santoryu2510
  • 47 months ago

Hi have some question regarding my latest OC.

First here is my system, MOBO - msi mz170a pro carbon RGB RAM - gskills 2400mh (8x2) 16GB GPU - MSI 980 TI PROC - i5 -6600k PSU -Seasonic 620w cooler - h110i GT

First , I did some research and downloaded tools like CPU-z, HW monitor and Cinebench 15. 6600k at stock settings has a temp of 30-31 on idle mode. I think that's fine considering its warm on my country. I ran cinebench before doing OC and temp got to 39 at max. After that, the time has come and tried my first OC xp. I'm thingking if will start with 4ghz first since its my first but rather I just go with a 4.2 at 1.225v. Reboot pc started test and my normal temp is around 35-36 and looks stable. Then I changed 1.225 to 1.2v and ran normal test is almost the same. Ran cinebench and max temp is around 49-51 with 35 being idle.

I already played 1 game of dota 2 and its has been stable. Right now im running on 4.2 with 1.2v. Question, should I still try 4.3-4.4. I want to lengthen the life span of my hardware. Also should I try to reduce the 1.2v? or should I just let it as 1.2v as standard.

Please advise and share your thoughts. Thank you

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I use a system similar to yours (https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/gmwV3C) and I got my 6600K to 4.3Ghz leaving the voltage to stock.

Try seeing how high you can get without touching the voltage first.

In most cases, this should be 4.2-4.4Ghz depending on how lucky you get on the silicon lottery.

Increasing the voltage also increases the heat the CPU produces but allows it to receive more power to stabilize itself.

Overclocking isn't always needed though. Try monitoring your CPU usage a bit and seeing how high you go to see if you even need to push it to higher core clocks.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

hey man, im still little confused on this. what do u mean by stock voltage, are u referring to auto? because before I changed it, it was set to auto. if this will be set as an auto, does it ran higher that 1.2 sometimes rather than putting it manually?

And yes, we have almost the same lol.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I have left it on auto. It will adjust itself based on what it needs to draw.

I would manually adjust it if you want a higher overclock that doesn't work on auto and want to see if the increased voltage can stabilize it.

I think its 1.25 or 1.3 you shouldnt go higher then, I forgot.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube