add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Questions about Cloning or Ghosting Hdd's/SSd's

kazini
  • 48 months ago

I've never had to clone or ghost any drives before and I'm upgrading my wife's pc, My Question being if I install windows on her new SSD can I still clone/ghost her old boot drive to her new boot drive? will this cause any issues or anything? i'm trying to avoid re-downloading/installing both our steam libraries.

Also is it as simple as plug the old ssd/hdd in and start up the software?

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you intend to clone the HDD to the SSD? Or do you have a windows key and want a clean installation?

Is the SSD large enough to hold windows and the steam library?

If you answered yes to question 1 and 3, this might help you:

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a-pc-game-to-another-hard-drive-without-re-1714706774

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I plan on cloning the original ssd (120gb) to a new ssd (250gb) but if I do this and keep the os will it work if im switching to all new hardware (i.e. new mobo/ram/gpu etc.) ?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes it should work, as long as everything gets recognised in the bios.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

...will it work if im switching to all new hardware (i.e. new mobo/ram/gpu etc.) ?

With the exception of drives in question,
Cloning software is not intended to handle change of hardware.
Bottom line: Don't be surprised if a BSOD is the result.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

this was why I was worried, can I use cloning software to pull specific things off of a drive Like just some picture libraries or my steam libraries ? or is it an all or nothing type deal?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

...is it an all or nothing type deal?

Yes.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

further question, without formatting is there any way that you know of to manually pull the necessary files/folders off before formatting the old drive?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube