add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Skylake vs Broadwell-E

kazini
  • 48 months ago

Planning on upgrading my wife's Streaming machine, I'm wondering should I go with a quad-core i76700k or would the 6800k actually show any performance boost as far as streaming and gameplay?

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

What's your budget? You can generally get into x99 for not much more money nowadays. I made a post similar to this one but revolved more around if going x99 as a chipset at this point is worth it since Skylake-E will be on an entirely new socket and chipset.

The 6700k will stream and game just fine.

The 6800 will allow you more headroom to do other things at the same time. If you're doing any rendering, compiling etc, the 6800 is probably worth the investment to you.

If its strictly gaming and streaming, you can certainly go with the 6700k, in my personal opinion there is no reason to go with Skylake over Broadwell-E given the small price difference. x99 seems to be slightly more hands on with trouble shooting and getting the components setup correctly. RAM seems to be fairly finicky, especially running XMP. Not to say you would experience this, but read the motherboard reviews on Newegg/Amazon. It seems to be a lottery atm. Maybe the new board refreshes will address some of it. If youre okay with it, x99!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah ram is a pain. Imc on haswell-e is not that great. More often then not that will be the limiting factor for ram speeds then the board itself I have found. I gather Broadwell-E has however thankfully improved in this regard

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I technically have no budget currently, i'm just looking for if there's any performance boost one way or the other as far as streaming/gaming.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

The only times that Broadwell-E will have any type of worthwhile gains over Skylake is if what you're doing utilizes more than 6 threads. Generally, for Skylake gaming/streaming, the cores are used for gaming while unused cores and extra hyperthreads are used for the streaming (it's the simplified way of looking at it, at least). With x99 gaming/streaming, it's more along the lines of the physical cores doing everything while the hyperthreads take over any possible background processes (they're more common for rendering where all threads are utilized at all times)

If you are fine with spending more, then you can definitely go with Broadwell-E since it's sure to hold up better to the future compared to the 6700k, but mostly by virtue of core count.

Short answer is no, unless games start really utilizing or requiring more than 6 threads, which isn't likely to happen any time soon

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Single core performance is going to be better on the 6700k vs the 6800 on clock speed and IPC alone. If you're not going to overclock then 6700k is the way to go. 1 point to 6700k

If you're going to be moving beyond streaming and gaming and running other processes in the background simultaneously, the 6800 with the 6 cores are going to take over performance because of the throughput alone vs 4 cores. Whether you're going to use those extra 2 ever depends. 1 point to 6800

If you're going to dabble in overclocking, the gap in single core performance is going to be negligible between the 6700k and the 6800. So at that point you're best off spending the extra $100-$150 and get two more cores out of it. 1 point 6800.

Thats about as basic and stripped down it can get without the other considerations (power usage, temps, ram support etc). 2 - 1 for the 6800.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah well I have a x61 sitting around and a 360mm Cooler on the way (planning on putting the 360 on my 2600k to see how high I can get a stable clock out of it. but thank you very much for your input sir :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube