add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trying to wait for pascal BUT FuryX or 980ti?

kazini
  • 50 months ago

Let's say hypothetically I wanted to go buy an htc Vive and a new VR Capable video card Right now. (Really trying to hold out until later this year for obvious reasons) Would a Fury X or a 980Ti be better bother performance and price to performance if I'm running a single card with my only intention being to run VR currently (no plans for 4k as of yet).

EDIT: This is mostly for debate purposes, however my wife is dying for a new Video Card and a VR Headset lol

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

a 980ti is the best bet for a single card, but amd's crossfire scales better, so if you get two fury x's they could actually outpreform a pair of 980tis in SLI think of it this way (saw this analogy from another guy on PCPP, can't remember his username though), anyways, you have a fury x working at 92% and a 980ti at 97% percent of maximum hypothetical single card performance, but with sli you get 170% of max performance and with the fury x's you get 180%. This isn't perfect, becauseresults will differ based on what the game uses

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I hear a Fury/Fury X is slightly behind if not roughly equal to a 980 Ti at ultra-high resolutions, and has an advantage under DX12. But I'm not sure which one is more VR-optimized.

If I were looking for an upgrade, I'd buy a 980 Ti to run in SLI - I already have one in my rig right now.

But if I were putting together a new build I'd get a Fury for its DX12 advantage.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I see a lot of people talking about the boost AMD will get from DX12 but its safe to assume nVidia will also get one.

I would't bet all my money on the AMD rise to fame under DX12 just yet.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

980 ti

however my wife is dying

That's all I read and I stop and be like

Nope

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are getting 1 gpu, 980 ti. If you are getting 2, Fury x. Although fury will probably beat 980 ti in DX12 games, So far it has.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Curveball: The R9 Nano and Fury are both amazing cards for price to performance to be honest.

R9 Nano, notch up the fans and give it a minor OC and it will be comparable to stock Fury X performance for vastly cheaper. If you using a headset = bonus, you can whack the fans even higher and give a nicer overclock. Fury is also a good shout, give it an OC, will go past Stock Fury X performance and with a beefy cooler will run quiet.

Cheapest for each card:

Point being price to performance the Nano and Fury are quiet good options for price to performance.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

personally I'd get the R9 Fury X simply because it has HBM and comes water cooled, even if the 980ti has better overall performance. I just like the idea of a cooler running GPU, but there are water cooled 980ti's too I think?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah the 980ti hybrid, more expensive though

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

ALOT more expensive...

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah -_-

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Not worth it, I'd pretty much wait for the new lines to come out and just get the either of these cards after a cut back on price :D

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

exactly lol, im trying so hard but my wife really wants the htc Vive xD

• 50 months ago
  • -1 points

I would go for the 980Ti.

Call me an nVidia fanboy but I would pick it over the Fury X any day.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube