add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Quick Question: Thermaltake Smart 650W is good?

Kumiko

39 months ago

I just need to know if the quality is good enough that I don't have anything to worry about. I know about the EVGA G2 650W, but it's $100 and I wanted something a bit cheaper that will do fine. (I also looked for a Jonnyguru review, but didn't find anything. Read a couple reviews on Newegg though. Seems fine)

If the part list helps, I will post it. it's a bit irrelevant though.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Post your budget, setup, and yes/no to mail-in rebates.

It's a solid, but budget and group regulated unit.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

setup? no to rebates. and my budget is just whatever I have when I go to buy the parts. I was hoping to spend about $850 or less, but it doesn't matter too much because I'll just have to save a little more. :\

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $174.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $69.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $36.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 380X 4GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card $233.98 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $47.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Thermaltake SMART 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $57.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $761.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-09 15:51 EST-0500
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You're really overkilling it with a 650W unit - this setup would run well on a good 450W PSU, and still have room to spare. Pay for quality, not unused power.

You can take EVGA G2 550W or Corsair RM550x if you want something from the top of the line.

There's also a deal on EVGA GQ 650W.

If you'd rather pay less, you can take DeepCool DQ550ST for $49 - it's on a deal as well.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

450W is not enough, it wouldn't last more than a few months if that. You don't get a PSU that's always maxed out. If 450W was really enough, I would just get the EVGA 500B for $40. Thanks for suggestions though. G2 is very good

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Here's a test setup with an R9 380X and i7-3770K OC'd to 4.8GHz: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/11/19/asus_strix_r9_380x_directcu_ii_oc_video_card_review/2

Here's how much the whole computer uses under full load: 323W. That's a value taken from the wall. Going by the 90% efficiency of their PSU, that's 295W of actual power consumption.

Here are power consumption tests of R9 380X alone, isolated: 171W average and 179W peak.

So yeah, if you had a 450W PSU, it would only be loaded to about 2/3rds with that exact setup. And you won't even hit that, because your CPU will consume less power - since it's not an older i7 and it's not overclockable.

And for the record: power supplies are rated for their full output power, at continuous load. You could run an EVGA 500B, Corsair CX500, or XFX TS 550W at 100% load, 24h/7, for years, and not worry a single bit. Don't treat power supplies like they're made of paper - leave that for the likes of Diablotek, Logisys or other dishonestly rated units. Running a normal 500W PSU at 450W load will not decrease its lifespan to a few months.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

373W. I'd still rather have too much than not enough, and $70 isn't bad for a high quality PSU that gives my system life. Also, I think you got that 90% efficiency flipped because at 90% efficiency, it's not using all the power. The 10% left is just heat being dissipated.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

this setup would run well on a good 450W PSU,

Really? I would put atleast 100 watts headroom

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

A good 450W really would run it, although some more extra room is a definitely good thing.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Ik

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

What's your part's list? I can't help you a whole lot if you don't give parts.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not about if it's enough power though. 650W is plenty. I just need to know if it's good enough quality.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $174.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $69.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $36.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 380X 4GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card $233.98 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $47.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Thermaltake SMART 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $57.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $761.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-09 15:51 EST-0500
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

So no parts list?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

It's irrelevant and in my last comment/reply. It doesn't matter because I'm asking about quality of the PSU alone. I didn't ask if it was enough. I already said this the first time too.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw, I was going to delete it, but never did.

I didn't ask if it was enough

So you're willing to overspend for higher wattage? This build only need 550w.

As orion said , the TT Smart isn't necesarrily bad, but not amazing for the price. The better Seasonic S12II is only a bit cheaper, while having better value.

If you are looking for something in between the price of the G2 and the SmartM, look at the EVGA GQ, or Rosewill Valens. Both great power supplies.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know~ The sweet spot is 40-60% usage though so 650W should be what I want. And really, it almost uses 400W so even then I'm not in the sweet spot :c

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube