add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Portable monitor for gaming for a mini-itx build

kazini
  • 51 months ago

So I am building a mini-itx gaming pc for my brother who doesn't have much of an idea about building pc's at all. My question is, are there any good portable 1080p monitors with an hdmi input that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I found some nice ones by GeChic but they're so expensive it's impacting his build at the price point i'm going for. (I'm sure he'll spend the extra but i'd rather not make him pay extra money on top of his immense student loans, He's going to school to be an orthodontist so you can imagine how much he owes in loans -_-)

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

How about some DIY? Make a handle to attach to VESA mounts on the back of most monitors. Doesn't have to look good, just work

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

the issue is finding one small enough that isn't expensive, most sub-21" monitors either don't have the right inputs or are ridiculously expensive like $400 :-/ I might look into this idea though depending what he's comfortable carrying around.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

that's not a bad idea, only part i would have to figure out then would be audio since that doesn't transfer over dvi but still that's not bad at all pricewise.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I've seen portable displays produced by ASUS, e.g: https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MB168BPlus/overview/

They might look promising, however, a 11+ ms response time is not for gaming. :(

Found one with 8 ms response time: http://us.aoc.com/products/details.php?e1659fwu&id=342

Also check out this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWpYInR9_wY. I'm a bit confused about this video, as the speficication says, that it has a 14 ms response time and the guy on the video didn't mention anything about not being responsive enough (although I didn't watch the whole video).

So I'd look for things like these.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

the problem with those is that they transmit the video on usb 3.0 so he's not going to be able to game on them with a portable desktop very easily. and the only decent one I've found with an hdmi input has a 14ms response time which really isn't ideal. http://www.amazon.com/GeChic-1303H-Portable-Monitor-MiniDisplay/dp/B00PQDHAMW it's also 300 dollars T_T

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1287

it's only 1280x800 and you would probrably want to put it in some enclosure, but it's quite a bit cheaper. I looked at the spec sheets for the panel and the response time is 25ms, but that is black to white while most panels are measured grey to grey (because grey to grey is faster and it lets them advertise lower numbers)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

i had seen most of those but that acer one might be good, while fitting it into his budget preferrably 1-200 dollars but thanks :D

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

also really like the first gechic one but way too expensive

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I think it's because it's an IPS display

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, my other issue is the response time on the smaller displays is like 8ms minimum which is frustrating, if im paying 400 dollars it should not have 8+ ms response time -_-

• 51 months ago
  • 0 points

Um... If you want a wholly portable configuration, wouldn't it be wiser to get a laptop?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

he's tired of spending 1200+ Dollars on gaming laptops and then having to drop to low settings on games that have come out recently, so he wants the power of a desktop as well as some upgradeability, because right now his laptop he bought last year for 1200 dollars is already showing it's age.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been to a computer repair store (not US), where they replaced CPU, GPU and all kind of things in laptops. Maybe this might be worth investigating.

Maybe all the upgrade it needs can be placed into the laptop.

(I myself prefer desktops, just it hurts seeing a $1200 going to waste.)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately, there's a surprising lack of these in the US And especially in New York State where the ones that are around are ridiculously expensive to do anything. he still uses it, he just wants a portable solution for some heavier gaming than his laptop can handle and doesn't want to throw away 1200 bucks every 1-3 years if he can help it. and we all know the mobile cpus are usually garbage anyways compared to the desktop ones :-/

EDIT: not garbage per se but still way underpowered.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, that's true. Mobile processors are designed to consume less power even if it means sacrificing performance.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

also thermal throttling is a huge issue.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

the way I see it at least if he has a portable mini-itx build he can upgrade his gpu and such if need be.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube