add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVGA 500B PSU (500W) good enough if I'm using 360W?

Kumiko

45 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $174.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $42.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card $226.99 @ B&H
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $48.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $45.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer $14.88 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $774.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-15 23:02 EST-0500

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

It's definitely not preferable but it should work.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

I've got the EVGA 500W 80+ and a 560Ti.

If I can run Flamethrower Fermi on it, it can handle a 380.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

That is true, but it is still not ideal or a recommendable thing to do.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Hiroshima

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Wattage wise, yes that's fine. That particular isn't the greatest (though it's not gonna burn your house down or anything). Seasonic, XFX, or EVGA B2, G2, GQ would do you well. Most of them are competitive in price ~ $5-10.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Short term should be ok, that said I had one of them in a folding box... don't push that PSU to max output for very long... it don't like it much.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the information :) I'm not sure how much would be used at max load. 500W or more? I think at least 450W.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Think about it this way, the happy zone for most PSUs' is between 40 and 60 % of rated wattage. If your going to be pulling 80%+ all day every day (like I was), its asking too much from a budget part.

I had to take mine out of service, system started to crash every few hours, and I was getting crazy stuff in the systems logs. Swapped out the PSU and everything went away.

It's not that its a bad unit, just know that its not a great one. The happy zone for that unit is between 200 and 300 watts. Your build will likely push that unit pretty hard, in the short term (6 months) you should be ok. Be ready to put a better unit in there after that.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

All of the G2's are good and the 550watt G2 is the one I replaced the 500B with. Has run full blast ever since.

You could also look at the GQ line, there are lots of good PSU's out there.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, thanks :)

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Worried I need a better PSU or it'll overheat and just stop or maybe fry my whole system.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

So long as you have good enough ventilation and hopefully have it mounted in the bottom of the case it should be fine. It's 80+ so it's quite efficient all things considered, and it's not like your GPU is going to be drawing maximum wattage at all times. Not all games are like Furmark.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Furmark??? Well, I plan on running every game on highest settings possible, so maybe 500W isn't enough. :\ Not really a problem spending more money on a better one. It's just gonna take longer to save for it all. Also, the part list I posted is not what I plan on putting together. It's just an example really

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Furmark is a benchmarking software that pushes your GPU to the melting point.

My point was that you're not going to be doing that, so 500W would be fine. They only recommend I think 550W, and that's on a low quality supply. The 500W EVGA unit isn't fantastic or anything but for the money it is quite good. It got an 8.5 from JonnyGURU, which is better than what many less popular brands get, like CoolerMaster.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I chose it because of jonnyguru :D

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

The JonnyGURU reviewers know what they're talking about, and with test number 5 in the Hot Box the 12V rail is pulling 37A, which is more than enough for the R9 380. You will be fine with that power supply.

The ripple suppression isn't "Take a picture and frame it" quality but it's decent. That should be your biggest concern.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $215.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $46.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $33.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive $69.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card $189.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $64.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $791.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-16 07:33 EST-0500

This overall PC build would be an awful lot better than the one of which you've listed above...

All the best,

TheAverageMMOGamer.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I've no idea why you responded with another part list. This topic is about power consumption. I only asked if a 500W PSU would be enough if my system used 360W.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Listed above, I've accumulated a much better parts list!

All the best,

TheAverageMMOGamer.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU price went up $30 unnecessarily (it was already plenty good enough), motherboard is not good enough, no idea why you chose a HDD that is equivalent to the one I chose but "yours" is $20 more for the same space and quality, more expensive case and PSU Idk why, and finally I would not use win10. I simply don't see why you posted a part list as a reply to a question about the PSU being enough. If you wanna help with part lists, go to the appropriate forum.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA PSUs in general are much better than the one of which you've listed, and the drive that I chose is an SSHD, not a HDD. This means that it boots up things such as your Operating System, and games roughly 30% faster than a standard hard drive... Finally, I chose the case that I did as you really don't want to be working in a cheap feeling/ looking case, do you?

I hope that this helps!

TheAverageMMOGamer.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

So EVGA 500B (500W) is not an EVGA PSU? ok. I really like the case I chose. It's not boring like every other case I see. How is it cheap-looking at all? I forgot what I read about SSHD's but I'd really rather have a HDD and SSD separate personally.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I picked up a 500B for 19.99 after rebate and it is OK, but just OK. If you can get it this cheap it isn't bad, but I would not spend $40 or more.

Oh yeah, About a month later it was $10 after rebate and I didn't buy a second one. Just sayin.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8488301-evga-500b-80-bronze-certified-500w-power-supply-9-99-ac-ar-fs-newegg?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube