add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Understanding true power of CPU's when it comes to games

Kumiko

40 months ago

I wanna know if I could go with an i3 and it last the next 3 years or so for example. I only have a laptop for now which is a Toshiba Satellite C55-A and has an Intel Celeron 1037U w/ Intel HD Graphics, 1x4GB Kingston 1600 RAM, and Toshiba 500GB HDD. I can play Skyrim at about 20FPS, maybe a little higher. (Using a script optimizer though. Without it, about 15FPS I think.) I can also play L4D2, 60FPS with V-sync @720p, Dead Island around 20FPS or higher among other games I did not expect to be able to. So considering all this, I'm wondering if I even need a Skylake CPU. Couldn't I just go with an i5-4460? (Somehow deleted a couple sentences, so they're not worded as well as before imo. Something to do with the shift key and maybe CTRL. I hate when it happens...)

To sum it up, I'd like someone who really knows their stuff to explain to me and show me how and why a celeron can play Skyrim and if I should save money on my CPU later. (about to start saving for my system. I just recently got a job)

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

From my personal experience, a lot of games are not very CPU intensive at all. Even running a game such as Fallout 4 with the FX-6300 I maybe see around 50%~ CPU usage. As for your Celeron, I guess it performs pretty well, even using just an iGPU and most of the games you listed aren't too too demanding. Do you need Skylake? No. Is it 100% worth buying at the moment? Not necessarily. It isn't fully mainstream yet and a lot of the prices are still decently high, as everything starts sinking in. An i5-4460 will still perform very well in generally a lot of situations. Most people now choose Skylake for things such as DDR4 and "future proofing" which really isn't a thing, but choosing Skylake leads a very good upgrade path for the future, especially if you pair it with a good motherboard. Hope that helps you a bit.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Any motherboard recommendations other than MSI Z170A PC MATE and Asus Z170-A? Also, I think I will go with the i5-6500 because of all the nice features and it's worth it imo since it's $200. The i5-4690K is about $200 as well, but doesn't support DDR4 so it seems the 6500 and maybe Z170 PC Mate is the way I will go if not the Asus Z170-A. Thank you very much for the response. :)

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

6500 + Z170 = Still no OC (atleast, soon, you wont be able to OC a locked skylake with a z170)

http://wccftech.com/intel-forcing-ban-nonk-oc-feature-skylake-motherboards-bios-rolling/

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

?... I don't plan on overclocking. How can the 6500 be OC'd anyway? It's not unlocked.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

There was a trick involving base-clock OCing on Z170s.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, just read part of that article. Kinda sad... I guess it's a marketing tactic or something. :\ Low imo

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Bit if you are getting a 6500 with no intentions of getting a Kchip later on, you can save money with an H170

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Which H170? and would the sound still be good? (I want good surround sound, but it does not need to be perfect. I don't make music or anything.)

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

I wanna know if I could go with an i3 ... Couldn't I just go with an i5-4460?

Well, which is it?

I would prolly go i3 6100 tbh, as per userbenchmark it scores around the same for gaming performance and ranks considerably higher overall - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4460/3511vs2310

6100 and 1037u comparison - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-Intel-Celeron-1037U/3511vsm3597

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

If I must, I will definitely go with the i3, but if I can save up for a better system, i5. The i3 would do fine, but the i5 has.... (i5-6500)

Turbo Boost Tech: 2.0 TSX-NI: Yes VPro Tech: Yes Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP): Yes Trusted Execution Tech: Yes

What stands out most to me is the trusted execution tech. I believe that means there's at least a reduced chance of being hacked. The rest, Idk what they mean, but I assume they will be useful.

But, the 4460, now that I remember.... the i5-6400 costs about the exact same and is better. I think I just used the 4460 as an example really. (I'm tired and about to go to bed, so I'm sorry for the confusion)

Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

I would go 6100 too, it has a better upgrade path

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Since PCPP doesn't have a limit on how many lists you have, make one for each possibility. Do a list for an I3, I5-4460, I5-6500 and any other CPU that you're interested in. Members here will help you to shape those lists into usable, workable systems. Then when you've saved enough you can take the list you like the best and build it. Then you can post it in Completed Builds.

Until you're ready to buy and build, you're only limited by the amount of effort you put in to your research.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestion~ I think I already did something like this though. Like, I made $550, $700, $900 and full custom part lists.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube