add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dual and Quad-channel

Kumiko

40 months ago

Out of curiosity, I searched for some info on quad-channel and how beneficial it is/could be. Someone commented on an article/forum post saying that programs need to call for the RAM channels for them to be used which mean if the program only calls for 2 channels but you have 4 available, only 2 will be used. Same person also said the CPU uses 1 cycle per channel, so 2 cycle for dual-channel and 4 cycles for quad-channel. so..... am I losing CPU power with quad-channel and gaining nothing at all if I use it? (I have not bought anything yet and all my questions are intended for the future. I've researched and planned for so very long... Almost nothing left I need to know and I like to try to help others whenever I can. Though of course I'm not professional or anything like that, so I get things wrong sometimes.)

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

duel channel and quad have to do with the chipset so most likely unless you are on x99 then you wont be using quad channel.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Very few platforms actually support quad-channel. Even if you have four DIMMs, you're likely still running dual-channel.

The benefits of quad-channel over dual-channel are actually very minimal outside of benchmarks. In games, there's virtually no difference at all.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Someone commented on an article/forum post saying that programs need to call for the RAM channels for them to be used which mean if the program only calls for 2 channels but you have 4 available, only 2 will be used.

No.

Memory interleave is effectively transparent to software.

Same person also said the CPU uses 1 cycle per channel, so 2 cycle for dual-channel and 4 cycles for quad-channel. so..... am I losing CPU power with quad-channel and gaining nothing at all if I use it?

No, No, No, No, and No.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube