add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Turning my prebuilt asus M32 into a gaming pc for my sis

asymsolutions
  • 50 months ago

After getting tired of running midrange gaming pcs, I decided to go all out and build my own high end gaming PC. I currently have a prebuilt asus M32 I will be giving my little sister when I get home between Feb 12-15. It's going to be a late Xmas present since I have been oversea since November and would like to do a new case, videocard atleast. I'm not sure if it has a proprietary mother and power supply or not but the motherboard looked like a miniatx when I looked at it. I'd also like to set it up to be something she can upgrade latter if she wants to as she has taken a keen interest in pc gaming. I have around 600-800usd to spend on converting this thing.

The computer has the following

I7-4790S Unknown asus miniatx-ish motherboard Asus GTX-750 graphics card. ****** asus case with no radiator support and no ventilation except on the side Unknown 350w power supply 12Gb of ddr3 ram Unknown 2tb harddrive in 3.5"format. Built in wifi on motherboard 5.25" dvd drive.

She wants a case to retain the dvd drive.

Suggestions on parts?

Also no peripherals for the time being. She is getting my old stuff and will probably get a new monitor for her b day if she likes everything enough

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

The whole key with your ASUS M32 is the Motherboard.. The one listed on the M32AD ASUS site is an H81 chipset but there is no futher info as to its form-factor..

https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/M32AD/specifications/

Most-likely this motherboard has a proprietary form-factor (size) which Original Equipment Manufacturers OEMs like ASUS deliberately indulge in, so that their motherboards are compatible with their cases only.. This prevents their systems being cross-ported with other platforms..

One sure way to check this would be a simple measurement of the board & check if it is corresponding to standard form-factors..

12 × 9.6 in / 305 × 244 mm --> Standard ATX size (ATX)

9.6 × 9.6 in / 244 × 244 mm --> Micro ATX size (µATX)

6.7 × 6.7 in / 170 × 170 mm --> Mini ITX size (Mini-ITX)

If the board that u have corresponds to any of the above form factors, we can very easily create an upgrade path around it with a new case, otherwise it would be best to leave it in its own case -- maybe upgrade the RAM to its max possible 16GB ( 2 X 8GB DDR3-2133 .. The H81 supports a lot higher RAM..), maybe a good mid-range GTX 970 video card, definitely change out the PSU to a better 500-600W one..

Hope this helps...

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I transferred someones skylake Asus M32 into a Corsair Spec-01, it worked just fine. ASUS isn't like Dell in that regards.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't underestimate the Asus M32-33 series cases. I use one with my rig. By the way, with a 92mm to 120mm fan adapter you could have an H60 in the front. The front draws in air via the bottom front corner. Tested it myself!

In this case I run: i7 2700k (3.9Ghz) R9 390x (1.65Ghz) EVGA 550 G2 PSU Cooled by: 2x 92mm Fractal fans Cryorig H7 CPU cooler

I even have a red led strip that makes the mesh panel on the side look super cool, and I can see my motherboard.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube