add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Closest NVidia equivalent to R9 390 8GB

Kumiko

41 months ago

The 970 is quite close, but I need full 4GB or better and closest performance possible. I want to pick the best NVidia card for a friend, but it also needs to be around $300, not $350+, and not $250 or less. Thanks for any and all help :)

EDIT: oh, my friend only wants NVidia because I guess he had a bad experience with AMD or is just an NVidia fanboy. He told me once, but I forgot xD

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 3 points

Nothing. The 970 has a full 4gb, its just 0.5gb of it is slower, not much point in getting it anyway when there is a 390.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I know, and that's the problem. The 0.5GB is slower so after 3.5GB is used, it gets slow. That's why I said I needed full 4GB (I think I did). Thanks, but he just refuses to get AMD :\ I tried reasoning with him, didn't work.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, they are the ones loosing out.

[comment deleted]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I are agree with this.

• 41 months ago
  • 3 points

The GTX 970 or maybe a used GTX 780 Ti or used Titan Black.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help :)

[comment deleted]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info, and why do you think the VRAM was crippled?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

wow... thanks. I shared the link with my friend, and after reading that, the 970 isn't so bad now. But, still annoying with the 3.5GB issue. :\ only thing I dislike about AMD is the heat. Need more fans and stuff.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

only thing I dislike about AMD is the heat. Need more fans and stuff.

this issue is really over blown much like the 3.5gb on 970 gets over blown.

If you get a reference card, then expect it to run hot no matter if it came from green or red team. A non-reference card will run quite and cool. A non-ref 970 and a 390 (there are no reference 390s atm) will have the same temp and noise performance with a variance of 3 degrees give or take from either card.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

More heat is still more heat and some people live in very hot areas/regions. Either way I'm getting fans to ensure it stays cool.

[comment deleted]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for replying~

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube