add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

LGA 1151 vs. 2011-3

kazini
  • 54 months ago

so i'm looking to do another build soon, for gaming/streaming, was wondering which socket you guys think would be more future-proof as well as which will have the best performance as far as gaming/streaming/video editing and rendering. I Had a friend recommend 2011v3 because he said it seems more future proof at the moment but want some second opinions.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Hardware > Motherboards".

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks Mani wasn't sure where would be appropriate to post that.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, LGA 2011-3 has (in the i7's), either 6 or 8 cores right now and are expected to add a 10-core option with Broadwell-E sometime in the next 6 months or so. If you're open to a Xeon, you can go as high as 18-cores right now (for ~4000$ of course...). You also have (generally) a higher limit to your ram capacity. Of course, this comes at a higher initial price; CPUs start at ~350$ and grow fast (~500$ and ~1000$).

With LGA 1151, you have slightly higher per-core performance, but get limited to 4-cores. Prices are also lower in general.

As such, I would say it depends on your video editing and rendering demands. If you're going to be doing a lot of it and could use the extra cores, go with LGA 2011-3. If it's just some minor stuff, then LGA 1151 can save you some money.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's just some minor stuff, then LGA 1151 can save you some money.

right now the 6700k is out of stock and very expensive compare to the 5820k.. probably when people stop buying like crazy in January..

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

right now the 6700k is out of stock

Microcenter has it as in-store pickup! But yea, should have looked at the CPU list... And if what I'm hearing is right, you can't just swap in the equivalent to the Xeon E3-1231 V3 into a Z170 motherboard...

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

lol except then nearest microcenter is about a 5 and a half hour drive from me and I hate driving in NYC.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're close to NYC, I believe there are a few in the surrounding states... I think there is one in New Jersey up towards there... Assuming you're coming from north of NYC, you'd probably end up avoiding NYC issues as long as you cross the Hudson around the Tappan Zee. Would still be a while driving...

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, I usually drive to Poughkeepsie and hop a train into the city. more than anything I don't want to drive that far JUST to go to microcenter. However if im going to new York anyway its nice that theres like 55 of them around nyc.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much, these are all good points. I was worried about being limited to 4-cores and I believe only 16 lanes on the processor whereas the 2011-3 has a ton more (not that I may use them all but it's nice to have them there lol)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The PCIe lanes aren't a major factor, as motherboards can counter that with special chips to add more PCIe lanes. As such, you can still do 2~4-way SLI.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Very helpful. Thank you for your insight. more connections means more potential power

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with 2011-3, the 5820k is cheaper than the 6700k right now and the 6700k is also harder to get right now. The 2011-3 would be a better choice for video rendering and stuff that are CPU-intensive.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

that's about what he said. probably what i'll end up doing honestly, do you think its worth it to go for the 5930k instead at this point? what benefits would is honestly see/use if I did do that over the 5820k?

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

I would go with the 5820k

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The difference between the 5930k and 5820k is pretty much boiled down to clock speed and data lines. You'd be hard-pressed to fully utilize either one, so go with the cheaper one (the 5820k)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I figured as much, thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube