add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would a 240mm radiator be enough for a mildly overclocked 4790k or 5820k and a hybrid cooled GPU?

Moop1337
  • 55 months ago

Such as one of the ROG Poseidon's? I'm thinking I might do a refresh on my computer, namely a new GPU and case, I'm pretty dissatisfied with how loud my 290 is, and I don't like the case either. Anyways, would a 240mm radiator be enough to cool both a 4790k and an ROG Poseidon 980 or 980ti? By my logic I should be golden because the hybrid solutions currently on the market are blower fans with only 120mm radiators, and there are 120mm AIO cpu coolers, so why not? I'm thinking I could do a semi-custom loop using a Swiftech MCR220 Drive Rev3 and it should be fairly adequate.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

The general rule of thumb is that 120mms of cooling space per non OC component and 240mm of cooling space per OC component. If you not OC the graphics card, than you should be ok since you doing a MILD OC on the CPU. If you have more space for rads in you pc, a 120mm would help for temps. You are good with your current setup but if you budget isn't too tight, a 120mm could help out quiet a bit. Hope this was helpful :)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Well even if I did OC the GPU, by an extension of that rule of thumb, wouldn't the 240 still be sufficient since there's still the fans on the GPU?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube