add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

R9 380 Crossfire VS R9 390

Kumiko

43 months ago

Either way will be about $400 USD, but I was wondering if I would get more performance out of 380 CF over a single 390? Not worried about VRAM because I would only play at 1080p or maybe 1440p at highest res. I read that CF and SLI has problems for many reasons and that many games will not utilize both cards. I also read that the performance gain is only about 60%. It does not simply double performance and VRAM is like having a single card. (Idk why the VRAM isn't fully utilized, but whatever.)

Thanks for any and all help with this. :)

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

but I was wondering if I would get more performance out of 380 CF over a single 390?

Yes, dual 380s will out perform a single 390 when utilised appropriately however some games will either not utilise crossfire at all or will have poor performance.

Not worried about VRAM because I would only play at 1080p or maybe 1440p at highest res.

Well Resolution isn't the only thing that eats Vram :)

I read that CF and SLI has problems for many reasons and that many games will not utilize both cards.

It's certainly getting better but yes the Game has to have a CF profile in order to use both cards. Some games don't have any, some have pretty poor scaling whilst some can boost performance dramatically, I suggest researching your favourite games and looking at the scaling benchmarks.

It does not simply double performance and VRAM is like having a single card. (Idk why the VRAM isn't fully utilized, but whatever.)

Correct, if it doubled performance Crossfire/SLI would be the greatest way to go! As to why Vram doesn't stack it's actually quite simple. The assets that are loaded into the frame buffer are copied over to the other cards frame buffer so that both cards can interact/store the information being received which allows them to work together. Dx12 apparently will solve this but so far nothing concrete has shown up.

In general, the added power consumption, heat output, space required and potentially small gains make crossfire/SLI for two mid range cards generally not worth it as a single card will provide better support and will usually be only slightly less powerful.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

To add to that, it's easier to upgrade an R9 390 than 2x R9 380. Your mobo may not support Crossfire past two cards, scaling gets worse past two cards, and many games simply do not have 3-way or 4-way Crossfire/SLI profiles. Thus, when the R9 390 gets long in the tooth, you can simply add a second card, whereas with 2x 380, you might find yourself looking at replacing the setup entirely.

It's part of why I generally suggest getting the best single card you can now, and reserving Crossfire/SLI for future upgrades to the system.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info and taking time to comment. :)

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

380 Xfire > 390 I would think but a 390 is $300 not $400, if you mean 390x then I would take the 390x since it is almost up with the 980 performance wise and wouldnt be so unwieldy and have issues like micro stutter

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I meant $300 for 390.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube