add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

DDR2: 800 vs 1066 (8gb vs 4gb)

gugu96

44 months ago

I'm building a computer with DDR2 and I'm wondering: 2x2gb PC2-8500 (1066mhz) or 2x4gb PC2-6400 (800mhz)???

my opinion is the system wouldn't be THAT much faster with 1066 mhz over the 800. But 8gb is much more sexy than 4gb for sure. What to do?

Note: it appears I will be the final user for this rig, still unsure, but looks like it. Office work, cpu-oriented workload, light gaming if any.

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 3 points

More RAM is better than slightly faster RAM speed. If you are modify a build that only supports DDR2 RAM then do that, but DDR3 and DDR4 present much better advantages over DDR2.

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

thank you for your answer!

well obviously the lower voltage (and wattage) and much higher bandwidth being 2 of these advantages, I agree ddr3 and ddr4 are better over ddr2. Board only has PC2 slots (4 of them).

note: I may end up to use the onboard graphic (HD4200) instead of a GPU, in this case I think I should go with speed over the quantity, right? On the motherboard box it says the shown 3dmark results were obtained in O.C. mode, meaning ddr@1200mhz. I think I'm being picky lol

anyways, I'll wait a few more hours to get more input!

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

No, the advantage of 8gb over 4gb is way more beneficial than slightly faster speed.

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

Noted! thx

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

Remember as well that just because that is the advertised speed, you may be able to run the sticks faster depending on whether the motherboard allows you to.

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

this particular board can run up to 1200mhz

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

More memory is ususlly better. However, if possible use DDR3 or DDR4

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

DDR2 is the only possibility for this particular mobo

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

update: I went with 16gb of PC2-6400 and a dedicated GPU (R7 260X) I only play BF3 for now but I might install BF4 just for fun, although I will probably not max out the 1080p settings on that GPU. BF3 fully uses the 3 core cpu so I assume BF4 will do the same.

I will strip out the GPU in the next weeks and replace it with GeForce 9600GT and post the system on local ads, for sale. The R7 260x will be used in my next build that is not yet in the planning, I have like 8-10 computers to complete and update (and sell) before I move on to my next rig.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

still debating with myself, but I might end up going with the 8gb PC2-6400 and not use any GPU and rely on the onboard HD4200

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

the mobo I will use is Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H so it's getting old now in terms of tech.

It has great onboard audio and great onboard video as well. I think it has around 40 stream processor on that hd4200, I would need to dig further (harder to get detailed spec for some onboard gpu).

Of course you don't compare onboard vs discrete, it's never the same! But this one is enough for my needs (no more BF4 on this thing).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube