add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5-4690K with higher than 1600MHz RAM

Kumiko

45 months ago

Is it possible to use RAM with 1866 or higher speeds? I'm expecting it to either underclock the RAM or somehow OC the CPU allowing me to use faster RAM. I just wanna know if I can use 1866 or higher RAM with the i5-4690K. I apologize for any confusion, and yes I checked Intel's site for RAM support and only saw up to 1600. I don't know if RAM speed really matters with Intel or not, but AMD APU's seem to do a bit better with faster RAM. Ex. A10-7850K does fairly well with BF4 on Medium @1080P and just fine @720.

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

As long as your motherboard supports it yes. Just enable xmp in the bios.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

But do I need to OC my CPU or as long as my Motherboard supports the RAM speed, I can use whatever RAM I like?

Edit: and thank you very much :)

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

No problem! and no you don't need to OC your CPU. When you install the ram go into the bios and most motherboards nowadays have a big button that says XMP press that and it will clock your ram to whatever speed you buy.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome :D One more question: Does RAM speed make a noticeable difference with anything? Like from 1600 to 2133 or 2400? I prefer Intel CPU's unless I'm doing a low budget build.

Also Note I don't have any parts yet and won't for a long time. :l

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Hmm Nothing I can think of really takes advantage of faster ram. Most programs and games scale better with more ram, but not so much faster ram. Having faster ram is still nice to have, but i wouldnt pay a premium for it.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

On paper, the i5-4690K supports 1600MT/s, but most samples can be overclocked to around 2133-2400 or more.

Overclocking the memory controller requires a Z97/87 chipset motherboard.

Performance gains are slim but measurable in some workloads.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube