add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 7 months ago
  • 8 points

If you're looking for good 1440p preformance, than you're definitely on the right track. Ryzen 5 3600x is a great choice and a cheap X570 motherboard would go great with it. I would get at least 3200mhz speed memory though, there are significant increases in Ryzen chip preformance with faster memory. You can get a 16gb kit of 3200 speed Ram for under $80 USD right now.

M.2 SSDs are great, but I would caution you against the premium ones. You can get around 500gb of M.2 SSD storage for $60. The more expensive Samsung or Adata ones do come with some speed advantages, but you pay a hefty premium for it, but either way you get a great SSD. Personally I don't think the premium is worth it, M.2 SSDs are fast regardless, but it's completely up to you.

For basic 1080p an RX 580 works just fine. If you want the absolute best performance at 1080p, go with a GTX 1660ti. If you want 1440p, consider an RTX 2060 or 2060 Super.

I did also notice you don't have a power supply. You want at least 80+ Bronze certified, and 80+ Gold if you can afford. Seasonic, EVGA, and Corsair are all excellent and very reliable brands.

Good luck!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I was thinking actually buying TOMAHAWK MAX motherboard (it has native 3rd gen support). Do you think 50$ difference worth to go for x570 motherboard? I can get Gigabyte X570 GAMING X or ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS with 50$ difference.

I read few people say Ryzen 5 3600 and 3600x doesn't have difference and go for 3600 and get external cooler.

I decided to fo with Nvidia video card because of streaming/encoding issues on Radeon. I am planning run 1080p could I go with GTX 1660 OC or does it worth to upgrade to GTX 1660ti or 2060? (I'm not playing high graphic games on PC, will mostly use streaming from console and play maybe LoL, CS Go etc. and possibly run ML, DL models)

This is what I think about my current setup

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/rolelabad/saved/rrxjpg

What do you think?

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I came up with this build for 1080p streaming, trying to keep as close as possible to what you had.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Colinorus/saved/#view=Mb8vWZ

I did downgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600. In my opinion, the slight performance bump isn't worth $40 that could buy you a better motherboard. As for the cooler, the AMD stock coolers are quite good. You only need to buy a better one if you're overclocking, and frankly for 1080p you don't need to. The 3600 is an absolute beast and should have more than enough power out of the box.

X570 motherboard is a great idea. B450 and X470 motherboards should be compatible, but some have had outdated BIOS. AMD should have it cleared up soon, but until then an X570 is recommended for Gen 3 Ryzen CPUs like the 3600.

I bumped your memory up to 3200mhz speed because the price difference is very little right now, and more RAM speed is great for Ryzen CPUs.

The GTX 1660 is a good choice. Unlike the other mid range 1080p options, it is quite recent and based on the latest Nvidia architecture. The extra money for the Ti version does get you some preformance boost, but it's up to you. I'll put see benchmarks comparing them down below. If you do go with the Ti and don't like the one I've recommended, look in the $260-$300 range for 1660 TIs. Those under $260 are usually very small and undercooled, and those over $300 are balls to the wall three fan monstrosities that are overkill for a mid range card. I like the MSI Gaming X because it has a decent factory overclock, good size and cooling, and even some RGB for a good price.

1660 vs 1660ti: https://youtu.be/bws9JS_JKuY

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for detailed response. B450 MAX series have gen3. Tomahawk B450 MAX is $25 cheaper than x570 boards. Does it worth to upgrade or tomahawk max is good?

Also GTX 1660 vs GTX 1660 TI vs RTX 2060 have $50 difference between each other. So close prices I feel like if I go 1660TI then I can go to 2060 :)).

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Technically the normal B450 Tomahawk, not the max one, also supports gen 3. The max is basically just the normal B450 Tomahawk on steroids. I put an X570 board because some of the B450 boards have been having issues with outdated BIOS and won't run gen 3. However, if this happens, AMD will loan you a lower gen chip to fix it.

Really the decision comes down to longevity. If you think you'll keep this rig for a few years, then go X570. If you think you'll be happier rebuilding a new one in 1-2 years, go B450.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

This is almost 1.1k https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MttrJ8 You can add some Arctic bionix 3pin fans or the chromax noctua 4 pin fans. I'm not sure if the mbd can control them. Also, You can downgrade to 3600 or upgrade to ryzen 7 3700x,but more expensive. The 1660 ti is a great entry start.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah tbh I'd go with the 3600 instead of the 3600X. It's $50 cheaper, and the performance difference is marginal, certainly not perceptible, and not really worth a 25% price increase.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube